Friday, November 10, 2017

Introducing Just Jousting, Back to Blogging

Coffee, another passion. Things you will learn about me.
It has been a very long time since I did any blogging. After blogging about photography for many years, I gave up the weekly ritual of writing for things less taxing. As it turned out those things were not less taxing, but a distraction from what I truly loved to do, which is to write.

I have tried over the years to restart, but fell short, because I really did not know what to write about. The world of photography is a wonderful world, but I lost interest in it and a move in positions at work made it difficult to pursue that particular craft and art with any kind of consistency. Change has once again occurred and my ability to be consistent with such things is now available to me.

Still, there was the matter of what to write/blog about. Everyone and their beautiful pooch has a website or blog, and it seemed to me that there was no room for another site that babbles on about this or that. All are allowed to express themselves and that is a wonderful thing. Few do much more than rant. The good ones provide insight and/or inspiration to do this or that in whatever you may be looking to learn.

For weeks now I have put my mind to what I might discuss in a new blog. It certainly has to be something I am passionate about. What worth is it to anyone, even me, if I choose a topic or theme that has no appeal to others, or me? The answer? Little. It would be a waste of time for all involved.

A walk the other night to meet a friend for dinner and drinks in downtown Salt Lake City made up my mind for me. The four-block walk south down Main Street to my destination spoke to me the answer in what I was looking for. It was the history of the place that shouted a fresh perspective on the blogging I wanted to do. This places’ history; Main Street, Salt Lake City, and everything that surrounds it.

Certainly, the reach would be local. But, am I really looking to speak to someone all the way around the world? No, I’m looking to stay small and speak to people who live where I live, or maybe the visitor who has decided to visit Salt Lake City or this beautiful state.

My desire solidified, and the decision made, I begin this new blog. It is called, Just Jousting.

Why is it called that? It seems a strange name for a blog about historical Salt Lake City and its surrounding areas. But, think about it. One’s historical perspective is wrought with subjection. Yes, there are facts, and facts are just that, facts. The subjective nature of the facts comes in to play when one, or some ones, decide that they will interpret those facts.

Out of this comes discussion, and most times disagreement. Healthy argument and discussion — to my mind — has always looked like a jousting match. Those who have the better weapons (knowledge), the fastest steed (rhetorical or written acuity), and the proper strategy (opened mindedness) win the match. The winning is found in what is taught and what is learned, so there are no real winners or losers in this. Revisionist history is born out of anything else. That is just the way it is and accepting that is most of the battle where the joust earns respect for the winner and the loser.

So, with all that has been said above, I open this new blog, Just Jousting. I am working on the first official post, which will appear on the coming Wednesday. I am looking forward to sharing with those who will read it and hope for rich discussions about the things posted here.

Have a wonderful weekend and come back again on Wednesday to see the beginning of what I hope will be a good place for both you and I to learn together.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thankfully Not Gone

Jean Leon Gerome Ferris (1863-1930) To be thankful, that is what this time of year is about. Thanksgiving was instituted as a nationa...